Sunday, January 8, 2012

Farmer's Market and a New Recipe

So we went to the Farmer's Market on Saturday and I got a lot of great food! I love the market, it's such a neat place to go - everyone is happy and walking around in the fresh air with all the fresh foods - most of the vendors are having fun, selling their yummy vegetables and fruit - I really do just love the place and love taking the kids, it is a cool experience for the whole family.

So here is what I got:

Ok, so I got cauliflower, strawberries, potatoes, onions, lemons, green peppers, blueberries, blackberries, broccoli, cabbage, pineapple and romaine lettuce - all for $20.

I love looking in the fridge and seeing all the fresh foods and I love that the boys love all of these fruits and vegetables at all. My 5 year old asked to get the blueberries and as he was eating a bowl full of them, he said Thanks for letting me get these mom, they are my favorite! There is one thing we have realized, if we buy fruits and veggies and have them on hand the boys will eat those over chips and cookies and actually prefer them.

So I decided to try a new healthy recipe tonight with the cabbage I bought at the market. I saw this recipe on Friday and decided I had to try it - I love stuffed cabbage so this sounded perfect.  I substitued ground beef for ground chicken and didn't have any mozzerella cheese on hand so I just put a very little bit of a mexican blend on top. This is what mine looked like.


Stuffed Cabbage Casserole
 I was a little worried the Husband and the boys wouldn't like it. The husband does not like red sauce at all and the boys are a little picky if they don't know exactly what they are eating and cabbage isn't something they eat a lot of .... here is the dish after dinner was over:
Dinner was a success!

So dinner was definitely a success, the boys and the husband LOVED it! So if you like stuffed cabbage give this a try - you will NOT be dissappointed. I REALLY liked it, this will be going into my "keepers" in my cookbook for sure.

Well I have to get these kids settled down and ready for bed and I have to get ready for work ... womp womp...

Hope your weekend was great!

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for posting the recipe!! I tried it last night and yummy. My husband even had seconds and loved the fact that it was healthy.

    Good luck on your journey. I know what it's like to lose the weight and gain some of it back. I'm trying to lose the 15 lbs I gained back then lose another 20 lbs on top of that. It's really hard. Just know there's someone out here that's in the same boat as you are and has the same struggles. Don't give up and if you have a set back don't give up just move on the next chance you get.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a sweet kid you have! Thanking you for buying the fruit... Definitely gonna try that recipe! I love stuffed cabbage!

    ReplyDelete