Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Overnight Oats

I have been seeing Overnight Oats on all kinds of blogs lately and have also been looking for a new breakfast alternative, so I thought I would give them a try.  It is basically cold oatmeal with whatever you would like to add in.

The recipe I used was:
1/2 C Old Fashioned Oats
1/2 C Non-Fat, Plain Greek Yogurt
2/3 C Skim Milk (or whatever milk you choose)
1 Tbsp Chia Seeds


I then added about 3 chopped strawberries and half a banana.  This is what it looked like after I mixed it all together ...


It was slightly runny but I thought it was pretty thick even at this point. The Chia seeds are supposed make the oats thick and creamy over time but I noticed a difference within about 10 minutes. 

This morning when I took the oats out of the fridge they were very thick, I topped them with granola.

And here is what they looked like on the spoon.


So overall I liked them. They definitely need something added to add some sweetness. I didn't add anything other than fresh fruit and as long as I got a bite with fresh fruit in it, it was ok, but if not it tasted very bland. Some bloggers said they added a fruit preserve to it when adding fruit, to add sweetness. Some added stevia or syrup  and some added honey, but I do not like honey so can't use that one.  So basically I think if I found the right add in then this breakfast would be delicious, I just have to find that right combo. 

I also think the amounts of oats, yogurt and chia seeds was way too much. This was a HUGE portion, I couldn't even finish it all. I found another recipe with slightly less amounts and I think I will try that tonight. 1/3 C oats, 1/3 C yogurt, 1/2 C milk, 1/2 Tbsp chia seeds. We'll see how that turns out!

I also had my first Kind bar yesterday - and I LOVE IT!! Give these a try, if you haven't already =)

3 comments:

  1. A few things.......Love the hair cut! so cute.
    I have been wanting to try the rolled oats recipe but am too lazy. maybe next week......:)
    I have tried the Kind bars and so far my favorite are the Mango Macademia one. I need to stock up on those! So glad you are back and blogging! 18 days until we fly into St. Louis!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. WE LOOOVE too!
    right down to the chia ;)

    MizFit

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know about cold oatmeal.... I've heard of some people putting choc chips in theirs. Do you think it would still be possible to heat it up in the microwave and still taste okay?

    ReplyDelete