Wednesday, October 17, 2012

To Thine Own Self Be True ...

So lately we have been noticing with my 6 year old son that he is, well, basically a "follower". It is driving us crazy. Everytime we ask what he wants to do, or what he wants for birthdays, Christmas, etc. It is always, I want an xyz like so and so. It is seriously like he cannot make his own opinion about anything and we really wish he would. The boys up the street have skateboards, so now he wants a skateboard for Christmas. He has been asking to play baseball for a while now, told him I would sign him up in the spring. We go to watch my nephew play football last weekend and guess who wants to play football now instead of baseball. I could go on and on with examples like this. It really does bother me and the husband- you know that old dumb saying - If they jumped off a bridge would you do it to? I am afraid my son's answer would be yes! ... for real yo! ... I just worry about him "following" the wrong kids.

But anyways all of that to say, that after thinking about this, I realized - my son is me! I do the same damn thing. With weight loss, fashion, hair, hobbies ... I never come up with my own ideas. I always see what other people are doing and think, that's cool - I should try that. Lame Sauce!!

I look at all these blogs and it's like I am looking for someone's secret to weight loss that is going to be like a light bulb for me. Oh look, she lost 60 lbs eating nothing but fruit and vegetables, I can do that! Then begins the endless research and mountains of print outs of recipes using only fruits and vegetables. It really is a viscous cycle.

Same with hair and clothes. I see a picture and think man I want hair like that, print said picture, go to salon and get it done - only to get bored with it 2 weeks later and wish so badly I wouldn't have chopped about 7 inches off my hair because it looked cute on SOMEONE ELSE!

Maybe if I tried to just be ME and do what works for ME, this weight loss stuff wouldn't be so hard.
 

I am who I am - and that should be enough. I need to figure this stuff out on my own and be happy with me. Or else I will never win this weight loss battle.

I am a good wife -

I am an AMAZING mother -




I make BEAUTIFUL children! -


I am a 100% goofball -
I get it from my daddy!

And my G-Ma =)




This is me - and if i would just sit back and enjoy the ride and stop trying to jump on everyone else's "train" then maybe I would enjoy life just a little more.

Only YOU know what works best for YOU! It is fine to look to others for inspiration but in the end all that matters is that you are happy with yourself and you do what is right for you!

2 comments:

  1. Finding what works for you is the hardest part! And the bitch of it is, it changes! That's why weight loss is such a personal journey. It took me a long time to realize the things that work for me. Figure out what parts of each "diet" make you fee the best. Like me, I love having a Pop Tart every morning. Keeps me away from the sugary cereals and other crap. I plan for it and it works.

    You'll find your way!

    As for your follower, my 3 year old is the same way. She wants everything her 2 best friends have. She wanted a flower spiderman cake for her Bday cause the boys love spiderman.

    ReplyDelete
  2. AWESOME post! :) And the more you live that out the more your son will see and the more he will take your lead! :) WTG, Mom!

    ReplyDelete